Fashion February: Kimono


Hey guys :)

This is the fourth and final Fashion February post and I have to say, I've had a lot of fun taking part in this challenge! For one, it's made me realise that there are ways to style just about anything into an outfit that looks good and won't attract strange looks from people when you wear it out!

The focus of this final post is the humble Kimono, something that I have always loved and found gorgeously elegant, just like the Geishas who wore the 'original' kimonos. Of course nowadays when we think of kimonos we mean the lightweight, satin / silky, almost dressing gown like robe-y thing rather than the traditional kimono (obviously you couldn't style one of THOSE and not attract strange looks!) 

So my thought train with this challenge was that kimonos originate in Japan and when I think of Japan and Geishas and the traditional artwork and history associated with these garments, I think of cherry blossoms. This is why I decided to run with a spring / summer theme for my look and make use of a mixture of block colours, staple wardrobe pieces and florals to complete my outfit. 

I personally think this outfit looks really cute and I am definitely going to see if I can grab this exact kimono from my local h&m...if I'm lucky (they never have anything in my size!) ready for when it gets a bit warmer :)



Kimono - h&m
Boyfriend TshirtWarehouse
Headband - WeddingBells.ca
TOMS - Nordstrom
Shorts - Target
Bracelet - Oasis

I wanted to keep this outfit as something which keeps you covered up to avoid burning in the sun but which keeps you cool at the same time, so I tried to avoid anything too tight fitting and tried to stick with floaty, light fabrics and pieces.

The kimono itself is obviously cool and light as it is made of satin / silk fabric and being loose fitting means it would allow the breeze to circulate nicely, same with the tshirt as it's a boyfriend cut making it just that little bit looser fitting. 
The shorts are more fitted as I didn't want the outfit to be all loose fitting because then there's the danger of looking frumpy and swamped in your clothes!
The TOMS are just a simple, staple summer shoe which match the tshirt colour and help tie everything together. I always reach for TOMS if it's nice out because they're MEGA comfy and they look great (I think so anyway! lol)
The bracelet is just a really cute, simple, pastel pink heart shaped funky elasticated bracelet which I think works really well with the florals in the kimono and the flower headband. 
I chose the headband because it works really well with this outfit as the flowers are seasonal and such a pretty colour! 

All in all, I would personally love to wear this outfit and this kimono in particular as I imagine it would be a super casual, super comfy outfit to wear :)

Hope you've enjoyed seeing my Fashion February posts as much as I've enjoyed writing and putting them together!

Huge thanks again to Ali for letting me take part :)
post signature

1 comments:

Vanessa said...

So pretty looks. ;-)
Lovely greets Nessa